Sunday, December 26, 2010

Blizzard 2010 UPDATE 7:50pm

22" snowdrift outside of my house!
Well, the last few hours brought quite a change to the area.  It is tough to measure the actual snowfall total in a storm like this because of snow drifts.  Snow drifts can be very extreme.  With winds gusting as high as 50mph in the area, these snow drifts can certainly pile up quite high.  I had measured a snowdrift just a few minutes ago of 22" in the front of my house.  In order to best eliminate the anomalies of the snow drift, I took 12 measurements around my street and took an average of my observations.  Currently, it appears there is 10.5" of snowfall on the ground for the suburbs of Newark, NJ.  



Now, with that said, there is already 10.5" on the ground and about 10 more hours of heavy snowfall with rates upwards of 1"-2" per hour.  This, combined with the observed location of the heaviest snow bands, it appears we should expect higher snow totals than the previously forecasted 15"-18".  The NWS also has increased their snowfall totals for the area to 24"-26".  I would have to agree with this forecast as the radar indicates the snow bands are set up over Essex, Bergen, and Passaic Counties.  It is very possible for another 10"-15" of snow to fall before this storm is all said and done Monday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment